Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has been randomly whining a lot and urinates every 30-45…

Customer Question
He has been randomly...

He has been randomly whining a lot and urinates every 30-45 minutes in small amounts which is totally abnormal. He is a 75 lb mix breed, he is also panting off/on. So my question is when should I take him in if this persists?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog, 75lbs, rescue half lab/rott

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name?

Rocco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocco?

Not that I'm aware of. Just whining a lot, urinating normal color urine in small increments, panting off/on and a sweaty nose.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

There are a handful of causes of straining to urinate with little to no production:

1.) A urinary tract infection
2.) Bladder stones that cause partial obstruction of the bladder or urethra
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet
4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or no salt broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce risk of progression of the symptoms. IF AT ANY POINT HE IS RESTLESS AND NOT PRODUCING URINE OR HE IS NOT IMPROVING WITHIN AN HOUR OR SO PLEASE GET HIM TO A VETERINARY ER

Otherwise tomorrow collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of his symptoms.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian