Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 18 year old small dog was found in the pool dead. We are…

Customer Question
My 18 year old...

My 18 year old small dog was found in the pool dead. We are filled with grief. he was floating and we dont understand how this could have happened. we take him out every early morning< sometimes carrying him since his back legs were weak. he never went near the pool.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Shadow. A small ***** *****. He was on arthritis medicine and slept by our bed every night. we have two other ***** *****s - one is a year and a half and the other three. They are all close and would bark to let us know something is wrong. They all sleep together. Neither one seemed to know Shadow was needing us or wasn't there in the bed. We are so confused and feel awful.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Shadow. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shadow?

Only that he rarely if at all went out side at night on his own. We always carried him and waited while he did want he needed to do.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 9 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

I am so sorry for the loss. My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.

What I am going to tell you is purely speculation based on what you have told me. I suspect that Shadow being a senior dog may have been confused canine Dementia and panicked and slipped into the pool. I have seen senior dogs get confused, they cannot see well and he was not strong enough to swim to the steps and get out.

This is based on what you have said. if he swallowed water he could not bark or let anyone know he was in trouble. I know you are grieving and I am so sorry.

I am hoping that this makes sense and that it helps.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jav917