Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Rocky, the most wonderful dog I have ever had, is close to…

Customer Question
Rocky, the most wonderful...

Rocky, the most wonderful dog I have ever had, is close to 17 and has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. My vet predicted 8 months ago that he would be gone by now. About 6 months ago I thought it was time because he seemed down and his cough was getting worse. I was so obsessed with the possibility that he might be suffering I arranged for him to be put down but the vet thought he didn't seem that bad. Shortly after that I got two 8 week old kittens and they seemed to really energize him. We've been all very happy together until yesterday. He stopped eating. When it was time for his final outing before bed he disappeared and we found him under a tree in a clump of jasmine. Every time we tried to get him up he yelped in pain. Finally I was able to wrap him in a towel and get him inside without any yelping. He slept most of the night on our bed and then on the floor. This morning he did not come for his food in the kitchen but eventually got himself to the tv room where we were and he lies quietly on the floor sometimes looking at me. It is very hard for him to get up on 4 legs. His back legs have lots of arthritis. I know he is dying. I would like not to move him if possible. He is not coughing. His breathing is very shallow but he doesn't seem to be struggling. Does the congestive heart failure give him any pain? Will he just fade away if we do nothing? What would be the effect of more hydrocodone?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He has always been very healthy except for the congestive heart failure

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you...please give me a little time to review the history...

so......I understand completely what your wishes are....the problem is dogs just like people rarely just fade away......in fact almost never......it makes sense if you think about all the people you have ever known that have just died in their sleep..... a truly wonderful way to go ...but very rare... dogs like most people experience discomfort with the dying process......I have seen this happen many times....

more to come....

so for 99% of dogs the best possible way to go is with humane euthanasia.....not by a natural death....

it is quicker and it is painless when done correctly....I always recommend a sedative prior to the euthanasia solution and then followed by euthanasia solution.....this is very peaceful with no suffering....

Congestive heart failure in the end cause alot of suffering......patients end up drowning in their own fluid.....it is not a good way to go.....I do hope that makes sense.....

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you...I would be happy to help you in any way that I can....Sincerely, DRB

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian