Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13 pound Javanese may have ingested a zolpidem about one…

Customer Question
My 13 pound Javanese...

My 13 pound Javanese may have ingested a zolpidem about one half hour ago. What can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Molly. She will be two on Dec. 20th.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?

No. Current on all shots, etc.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What strength/milligrams?

How is she just now?

5MG She appears normal in every way.

Hello again,

Now if it has only been 30 minutes, we wouldn't expect signs yet but this is a drug that acts fast so we could see them in the next 30 minutes. And I have to warn you that this dose could cause wobbliness, lethargy, sedation, drooling, agitation, wobbliness, hyper-sensitivity and hyperactivity. In higher doses, we can also see panting, confusion, tremors, elevated heart rates, and anxiety but those are less likely here

Now since it has been less then an hour, you can still consider inducing vomiting to remove any tablet still lingering in her stomach. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get him. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get her to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing her ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of her stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal available from the pharmacy to bind any remaining material in her stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 4 grams per pound is given every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food or water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). It works to bind the non-absorbed tablet material and can limit the dose she has had.

Otherwise, if you are not sure if she had this, you can choose to monitor her. If she does start to show signs, then we'd just want to keep her quiet, calm and comfortable in a dimly lit room for the next 12-24 hours. We want to keep her from being over stimulated while on the medication and if she were wobbly, safe from falling or harm. As I noted before, signs are usually quick on onset but the drug does tend to pass through the system quite quickly as well and dogs are often back to normal after 12 hours.

Overall, if you think she has had this tablet, it'd be ideal to induce vomiting or limit absorption with activated charcoal. And if you do see signs, we'd want to keep her calm and quiet while this passes from her system. Of course, we would want to monitor over that time and if she were to show any of those more advanced signs, then we'd want to follow up with her vet for supportive care (ie IV fluids to flush the drug out faster, muscle relaxants, etc) as needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.