Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I gave my 28 lb. cocker spaniel nexgard chewables on Friday,

Customer Question
I gave my 28...

I gave my 28 lb. cocker spaniel nexgard chewables on Friday, ever since he has seemed to be congested. Do you think he needs benadryl?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

He seems to be congested and snorting and snoring loudly, which is new. I hear the congestioin in his nose and seems to try to throw up something but nothing comes out (just hacking).

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Cee-Cee age 3.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cee-Cee?

Other than heart guard med the day before (which he has taken before).

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this isn't something we'd expect to see with Nexgard. Adverse signs from that product tend to include mild GI effects (vomiting, diarrhoea), itchiness, lethargy, or anorexia lasting just a few days. So, I suspect the treatment is not related to his signs and that we may instead have an brewing upper airway issue. Allergies are possible but also a bacterial upper airway infections, Parainfluenza or foreign body caught in the back of the soft palate would be suspect here.

Therefore, with all of this in mind, we do need to monitor Cee-Cee closely. If his signs are mild, we can start some supportive measures. First to reduce congestion, we can use steam treatment. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear discharge from the airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. So, if you find that to be an issue, you can make a little ‘steam tent’ with him in a dog crate, the nebulizer next to that, and a bed sheet over both.

Furthermore, if he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. As well, non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Ocean Mist or Little Noses) can be used to clear discharge and help remove anything caught if we can do so. For this just tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

For the hacking and throat irritation, you can try a mild cough suppressant. Often we'll give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be used as often as needed. Or you could use Robitussin DM (at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours) but of course do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here.

Finally if he is prone to allergies, you could try an antihistamine. Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 12-24 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications.

Overall, these signs don't fit with Nexgard, so we do have some other concerns for these signs. Therefore, we can try the above just now. Though if this lingers, we'd want his vet checking him for a foreign body as well as infectious process. Based on their findings, they can remove anything caught or address infectious cases with antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**