Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is a year and a half. We took her to the vet on Monday…

Customer Question
She is a year...

She is a year and a half. We took her to the vet on Monday because she was licking her privates peeing alot and also swollen down there. She's been on antibiotics for a urinary track infection. Tonight she got really weak and can barely walk. She was acting fine all day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There is no wound. She is acting too weak to walk. And lethargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Z-va and she's a year and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Z-va?

1

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Z-va?

The antibiotics helped with her having to pee alot but she is still swollen and licking herself

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Z-va, please?

While her signs are very important, they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. A drug reaction might be considered but isn't likely. Profound anemia can cause such weakness. Whatever the cause, Z-va needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience.

Z-va slept and is now just laying here. It is just her back end that is weak, it came on all of a sudden. You can tell she wants to get up but she seems very uncomfortable and walks with her tail tucked inbetween her legs. I just wanted to see if its ok to wait till tomorrow or should i bring her to the emergency vet. I was thinking maybe a urinary track blockage. What are some of those symptomd?

When just the hind end is paretic (weak)/paralyzed, a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") is an important consideration. Urinary tract blockage is evidenced by stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine). Her hind legs shouldn't be affected. I would be more comfortable knowing that Z-va were attended to at your earliest convenience.

She has eaten pooped amd peed this morning. She is moving around a little better. She is not panting at all, wouldnt she be panting if she was in pain?
I have some rimadyl is it ok to give her one

Panting can be an indication of pain, yes. I don't see any contraindication to Rimadyl, however.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian