Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is on Phenobarbital and steroids for a brain tumor...has…

She is on Phenobarbital...

She is on Phenobarbital and steroids for a brain tumor...has had radiation...She is limbing on her one back leg she had TPLO surgery. Can I give her Tramadol for pain with these drugs? She may have a slight fever

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She has been doing well neurologically and had her last check up a few weeks ago

9/17/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I would note that if she has a slight fever and is on steroids, we need to be very careful. That medication can dampen the immune system which can make them more prone to infection. So, if she does have a temperature, we'd want to consider having a check up as soon as her vet is open to head off any infection with antibiotics if needed. Now in regards ***** ***** question, I have to say that Tramadol isn't ideal to use with Phenobarbital since the two together can cause dramatic sedation which could slow her breathing and cause weakness and collapse. If she is very painful a small dose could be tried (2mg per kilogram of her weight every 12-24 hours) but if she were to show the above signs, she'd need to see her vet for IV fluids. Otherwise, since there are no other safe home options (our anti-inflammatories are either dog toxic or will interact with her steroids), you may want her local vet to see her so that a safer option could be used for her discomfort. Of course, besides systemic pain relief options, if she is stiff/sore with that leg, do make sure to warm compress it if she will allow. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you. I have started her on Antibiotics and she is eating and drinking normally. She seems less uncomforatble this morning. She will be seeing our vet in the next 48 hours. Is there a pain med you would recommend given she is on Phenolbarbital and steroids?

Hello again,

I am glad to see that she is feeling better and with regards ***** ***** relief use alongside her current medications it will be a balancing act. Tramadol may be an option (though I see it perform poorly in many dogs) but otherwise a low dose of Gabapentin, Buprenorphine, or even a potential adjustment of her steroids (as it does have anti-inflammatory/pain relief functions too) may be best under the circumstances.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.