Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

9 yr old 15 Lb carianpoo terrier has developed a really

Customer Question
9 yr old 15...

9 yr old 15 Lb carianpoo terrier has developed a really large ugly abcess that hasn't burst yet but he seems to me to be in a lot of pain. Is there anything from home I can give him? Did I mention it's 12:40 am

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Zack, last week he was limping and not jumping which he normal be doing all the time. So we went to the vet, and after numerous tests and xray of coarse they found nothing. He did seem to be getting better. However tonight he wasn't walking right & then he started t scrap his butt on the rug, so I took a really good look and found this abcess about the size of 2 quarters. An hour later the abcess grew a bubble and now is lightly bleeding. I cleaned the area and put warm compresses on it, but he is still very uncomfortable. I am calling the vet's service 1st thing in the morning. I was wondering if there was anything else I could give him to help him through the night. Such as Tylenol or Advil and we also have St.Joseph's 81 mg aspirin. Would any of that be helpful for him. I may even have benodril?

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your vet's dog?

Initially he felt feverish and was panting however that seems to have past for now.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?

The abcess has broken, I bathed him and irrigated the abcess with Saline solution. It does conti us to ooz but not that bad. And the whole area does look much less red and irritated. Although it is obviously still very tender to him. I must say you sight is very misleading. ������ At 1 am this morning I needed to know what I could do for him and his pain. "Just pay the $27 and you will get an answer from a vet right away". I pay and then it says I will hear from you within 24 hrs. NOT HELPFUL!!! I have already spoken with my vet, thank you very much. I thought the whole point of your site was for my exact situation when an actual vet was unavailable. I appreciate you following up, however your advice is no longer needed. Have a good day.

I'll be happy to contact customer service for you.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian