Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a bad hip and she has jumped over the couch and…

Customer Question
My dog has a...

My dog has a bad hip and she has jumped over the couch and now can not put any weight on her back left hip. We had her at the vet and they x-rayed her hip on Tuesday and gave her Vetprofen 100mg and she takes 1.5 2x/day. We have some tramadol (for humans) and we wanted to know if that would help her or what we can do for her? She can barely get on the couch and we know she can't get up the stairs. She is a very large dog and is 9 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Abbe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abbe?

She is also on Thyroid medication, but she is in good health other than her left hip

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'll dose tramadol at 2 - 5 mg per pound of body weight up to thrice daily to dogs. When given in conjunction with a nonsteroidal antiinflamamtory drug such as carprofen (Vetprofen) it should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. It's best to initiate dosing in the low range and increase if need be. Adverse effects can include sedation and ataxia ("drunken sailor") which are more often seen in the higher dosing range.

I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?