Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a frog. I think. Skye and 6 months, Nothing that…

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a frog. I think.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Skye and 6 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Skye?

Nothing that I know of. She looked as if she was foaming but just a lot of slober

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Okay.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This is usually no problem, frogs and toads for that matter are able to excrete a slight toxin from their skins which is bitter and designed to make animals which have picked them up drop them at once and so the frog escapes. This toxin would make Skye foam at the mouth and salivate and she may vomit as well. There are many varieties of frogs and toads and if this is a non toxic species then all you need do here is to flush out your dog's mouth with lots of water and the situation will normally correct itself in a couple of hours.

2. However you should be aware though that in some parts of the world including parts of the USA toads can be poisonous and toad poisoning can be very serious or even life threatening, if this is what is going on in your case then your dog will be obviously showing progressively worse symptoms and you should then take your dog to an ER vet without delay. Please follow this link for more in depth information including expected symptoms : LINK

3. In any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Skye's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Skye is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the frog incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott