Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just say a small grow in the corner of my dog's eye. I…

Customer Question
I just say a...

I just say a small grow in the corner of my dog's eye. I thought she had gotten something in her eye but it seems to be attached. It does seem like it hurts her as she let me pull on her eyelid so I could see it better. I will take her to our vet but do you have any idea as to what it is.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sally is 15 months. a Beagle. It looks like a little piece of skin in the outer corner of her eye.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sally?

Not really. She seems to be very healthy and this thing doesn't seem to bother her.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I am working on a response for you.

I like the name Sally for a beagle, that is really cute.

What you are describing, sounds like a meibomian gland tumor. They are extremely common in older dogs, they can get more than 1 at a time, they are benign and they typically do not bother the pet unless they are more towards the inner part of the eyelid and rub on the eye. This can cause enough irritation that sometimes, they will get a secondary eye infection.

I am assuming that the growth is dark in color and not a pink?

is it bleeding?

I am sorry, I realize that she is not an older dog, I accidentally read 15 years and not 15 months.

Either way, these little growths can pop up at any age. Typically they will be brownish in color but sometimes a little lighter. There are other possibilities as well such as papillomas or adenomas. There are also some malignant tumors but less likely in a dog her age.

My recommendation though given her age, would be to monitor the lesion and if it is not going away or it is causing a problem for her where she is rubbing at her eye or it is causing some irritation, I would definitely go in and have it examined to be sure that is what the lesion is. You want to make sure that it is nothing more serious especially since she is so young and it is something new. Best to be safe.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If I have answered all of your questions and you are satisfied with my response, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating you can continue to contact me for several days with any questions. You can always post a photo for me to see as well.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole