Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's a golden retriever. We had grilled trout for supper…

Customer Question
He's a golden retriever...

He's a golden retriever. We had grilled trout for supper with no added salt or seasonings. My husband put the skin, bones, head and tail in the garbage can (silly man) and of course that was too much temptation for the poor dog. He seems OK so far.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

He's five years old. His name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about BJ?

No, he's very healthy, at a good weight (65 lb) and gets regular exercise.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Unfortunately in this situation we cannot induce vomiting because the material can have sharp edges and do more damage to the esophagus on the way up so at this point all we can do is a few precautionary things to minimize the risk of an obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have him evaluated/ x-rayed. This risk is very low with a dog his size and what he ingested but it may cause stomach upset

1.) Feed 3 pieces of bread now

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through and protect the edges from causing damage

4.) Monitor for signs of the fish coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the bones through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on their own which I am sure they will but he may have gi upset as a result (vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite)

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another few moments tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good morning, I wanted to check in on BJ after eating the fish yesterday? Has he had any gi upset? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian