Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Pug got in to my purse last night and ate half a pack of

Hi My Pug got in...
Hi My Pug got in to my purse last night and ate half a pack of ice breakers gum that has xlytol.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: i called Poison Control after her showing no signs for several hours and they told me to take her to ER which I did.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 10 1/2, not overweight, very healthy and on a raw diet.
9/17/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sophie. How may I be of help? The Icebreaker gums contain the highest level of xylitol of all of them - 1.15 grams/piece. How much does Sophie weigh, please? How many pieces were in half of a pack?

She weighs 18pds and maybe 4-5 pieces.
She ate them right after her dinner.
ER did blood panel and liver and blood was fine, they wanted to keep her and give iv and check again.
I asked that they let me take her home and monitor her for less than the $1000.
They said to monitor her closely for lethargy, confusion, vomiting, etc.
They gave me Denamarin for once daily and Nutri-Cal.
We are now past 24 hrs, she is still fine except some expected diarrhea.
She has been drinking water to re-hydrate.Just want to make sure I dont need to take her back in over the next few days for additional blood work?

Thank you. Let's look at the worst case scenario: 5 pieces x 1.15 g/piece = 5.75 g (5,750 mg)

5,750 mg/18 lbs = 319 mg/lb

Hypoglycemia can occur at dosages of greater than 75-100 mg/lb.

Hepatotoxicity typically occurs at higher dosages - greater than(###) ###-####mg/lb - but toxicity is idiosyncratic (peculiar) and so it's still smart to check her liver enzymes again on Monday. If symptoms of hypoglycemia arise (as were described to you) dosing her with a sucrose-containing syrup such as Karo at 1 mL (1/5 measuring teaspoon) per pound of body weight every 2 hours for 12 hours will be helpful.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

To be safe should I take her in at 48 and 72 hrs for blood glucose?
Or are we out of the woods at this point?

Not out of the woods quite yet but as long as she remains asymptomatic, I'd recheck her liver enzymes and fasted blood glucose Monday morning. If they're normal, she's out of the woods.

Ok thank god, we can do that.
Isn't the Nutri-Cal a vitamin/sugar thing to help?

Yes, Nutrical contains corn syrup (sucrose) but Karo is pretty much pure sucrose.

They said give a tsp of that every 2-4 hours so she has had about 4-5 spoonfuls of that and is due for another Denamarin soon
Ok, I will continue the Denamarin and Nutrical until Mon and have her checked again and keep praying for her.

I believe that her prognosis is excellent. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you so much.
I'm a very worried mother, she's such a little stinker and frankly too old for this, she's old enough to know better.

It's my pleasure. Give Sophie a kiss for me.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

when I came home from work tonight my lil' Pug dog wanted to bounce around and play.
Still wanting to eat everything in sight and seems perfectly fine.Should I still take her in for the blood glucose and liver check? We are an hour away from the 72 hour mark.

I would be more comfortable knowing that those few tests were performed. Sorry for the delay. I was climbing up and down a mountain.

Her tests are done and liver looks good.
They said finish the package of Denamarin to be on the safe side.

Wonderful! She bit the bullet!

Thank you sooo much!
It's hard when you're at the mercy of an after hours Vet that wants to keep running up your bill and there are no symptoms.
Had to get a second opinion.

It's my pleasure.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian