Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is on OM dog food and will not touch it. diabetic and…

Customer Question
He is on OM...

He is on OM dog food and will not touch it. diabetic and lipids over 400 and sugar 311, I've tried leaving the food and moving it to a different place. Very smart dog, what else can I try food wise?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Cody 8 years old. 11lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cody?

Losing fur on the belly too, but I think it is the heat.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about Cody.

Now if he refuses the OM, we do need to compromise since we need to keep our diabetics eating. Therefore, you could try him with Hills W/D or M/D or Royal Canin Obesity or Satiety. All of these have similar nutritional profiles to the OM and we may find one he likes better. Otherwise, we may need to find a low fat/carb canned food grocery store brand (compare them to the OM label) to mix into the OM or any of these other diets to find a middle ground that he will accept.

Overall it can be a challenge to get them eating what they should but in a situation like this, we'd want to try the others I noted, else will need to find something we know he likes and add enough to encourage him to eat properly for us.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.