Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

8 month old Rottweiler very healthy pup started to

Customer Question
8 month old Rottweiler...

8 month old Rottweiler very healthy pup started to disconnect w his front body and back legs. Sudden, now he drags them but on certain terrains he can walk very baffled. I massage them. O pain at all noted. He is purebread and just the best dog ever. What type of vet ? I just don't want problems worse with wrong care? So so concerned.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Just a scrape or two from the back legs dragging behind him. I have been trying to carry him so he ca do his business and try and get him to run, last month he was running all over, I don't get it, he hasn't been hurt.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No typical rottie, loving centered , grounded, listens most of the time this leg thing really threw us I have him on blue buffalo large. Breed and yogurt with kefir infused.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 11 months ago
Amber Hinson

Hello. So sorry that your dog is having this issue. What is his name? I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to try and help.

How long have you owned him?

Did he receive all his puppy vaccinations?

How long as this rear limb dragging been going on now? Does he do it all the time?

Is there any pain associated with this that you can tell?

Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 11 months ago

I think I may have an idea what is going on if you could write me back. How is he today?

Dr. Hinson

Hi my name is ***** ***** name is***** have owned him from 8weeks on. All vaccines except the last round At 6 months. The rear limb has been about 3 weeks. Prior to that he ran and would play tag with my son. Now no running, it like his legs won't do what the brain is telling it to do. He walks very unstable on grass and rugs that don't slide, he became unable to walk on tile floor. Yes it's getting worse. Prior they looked stiff, I rub arnica cream into the legs and massage everyday, even moving them how they are supposed to be moving. He does it wo any signs of pain. I have him on blue buffalo large breed formula and NO cooked people food. Raw snacks and yogurt with kier in it everyday . I encourage exercising but now I am afraid I would hurt him if I tried dragging him behind me on a. Leash. He will follow wo one but stumbles and it's terrible to watch. He is such a perfect pup. We love him and will do whatever we have to if he can be able to run again. My poor baby . Any help is welcome.Lisa Spring
Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the information. I am sorry that Boar is having this issue. It sounds like you take excellent care of him!

My best guess as to what is going on is that he has Wobbler's syndrome (cervical spondylomyelopathy or CSM). It is a disease of the cervical spine (at the neck) that is commonly seen in large and giant-breed dogs. CSM is characterized by compression of the spinal cord and/or nerve roots, which leads to neurological signs and/or neck pain. The term wobbler syndrome is used to describe the characteristic wobbly gait (walk) that affected dogs have. Breeds that appear to be predisposed to this condition are Doberman pinchers, rottweilers, great Danes, Irish wolfhounds, and basset hounds.

Symptoms may include:

Strange, wobbly gait
Neck pain, stiffness
Weakness
Possible short-strided walking, spastic with a floating appearance or very weak in the front limbs
Possibly unable to walk – partial or complete paralysis
Possible muscle loss near the shoulders
Possible worn or scuffed toenails from uneven walking
Increased extension of all four limbs
Difficulty getting up from lying position

Can you please tell me if you think his neck is painful. They will not overtly show pain unless you manipulate the neck as they will guard it and hold it a way that will not hurt them. If you can have someone hold him still for you and then take his head and extend it all the way until it is vertical, then push it all the way down like between his front legs and then push it all the way to the left side so his nose touches his shoulder and the same with the right side. Let me know if you are getting any resistance or elicit any pain. If there is no pain that does not definitively rule out Wobblers but if he does have pain that is a pretty good indication that he does have it.

This is a video of Wobbler's in a Great Dane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8piNrhIGic

Do you think Boar looks similar? There are other videos on YouTube that you can look at. All dogs with Wobbler's do not present with the same symptoms so keep that in mind.

Regardless, I think he needs a vet exam with some x-rays. Some advanced imaging may be needed to get a definitive diagnosis.

Let me know what you think.