Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a English Bulldog he is 14 weeks old has crust stuff…

Customer Question
I have a English...

I have a English Bulldog he is 14 weeks old has crust stuff on tips of both ears what can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Boss

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boss?

No everything else is fine but he seems to want to eat all the time lol

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
You have my money where is my answer??
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you able to take a picture of the ears?

No my son has the dog. They are not real bad just a l title crusty on ends

How long has the crusty areas been on the ear? Have they worsened or stayed the same? In a young puppy the crust on the ear tips could be anything from ring worm if you are noticing it spread or due to a previous history of trauma to the ears especially if he grew up in a litter.

Is ring worm on a dogs ear crusty?
What do they look like? He goes back for his ladt puppy shots soon.

Yes ringworm on a dog's ear can be crusty if it begins on the ears then it usually spreads down the ears and looks like crusty areas of hairloss patches all over the body. If it is due to previous trauma then it should pretty much stay the same or improve over time

They have not been crusty long about a week or so

Has the crustiness gotten worse over time or pretty much the same? Do you know if he is itchy at all?

I did get a ring worm on my arm a few weeks ago

Or you did get ringworm? Do you know where you got it from? So if that is the case then there is a strong likelihood that the puppy could have ringworm as well

No he does not scratch at all seems not to bother him. He went to vet 3 weeks ago did not have it goes back next week. Just was wondering what it could be . But my dr told me I did have a ring worm and asked me if I had been around a dog. What can I put on him. Alot of money in this puppy

A common medication that is prescribed topically is a medication called miconazole. Depending on how severe the ringworm is sometimes the topically may not be enough and sometimes they still need to be prescribed an oral medication and need a special medicated bath. So if no improvement after about a week of topical medications that would indicate that other medications are needed.

His ears seem not to be bad but want to catch it before it gets there. He also f seems to not ever get full. Wants to eat all the time

Yes it seems like you have gotten it early enought. As far as the eating is concerned that may just be a puppy thing that he may eventually outgrow as he gets older.

The rest of his body is fine my son said it's only the tip of ears

Okay if it is just the ears then hopefully it will just heal on its own which would indicate it was due to trauma. Just need to watch it closely and watch for any new areas for crustiness.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Is this payment a one time deal

I don't deal with the finances of this website since I am just a independent contractor. But based on my screen it looks like you may have signed up for a subscription?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian