Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, 55lbs husky-Shepard mix has hurt his front left leg…

Customer Question
My dog, 55lbs husky-Shepard...

My dog, 55lbs husky-Shepard mix has hurt his front left leg near his ankle (I think). I don't think it's broken-no swelling, no bumps or bulges, he doesn't pull away or cry when I squeeze it. But he's got a pronounced limp after running full speed over a ditch he did not see. He cried, immediately picked up his left front paw and then laid down...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Tenzin, 1year 8 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Tenzin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tenzin?

He had had a similar reaction to an injury as a 6mo old puppy...after a trip to the emergency vet he was prescribed rest and healed fairly quickly. I'm hoping this is a similar case, but would hate to overlook something and cause more damage...

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 9 months ago
Amber Hinson

Hi there. Sorry Tenzin is having this issue.

Is there any pain when you squeeze hard anywhere on that leg (not just the wrist but above that)?

Can you extend the leg from the shoulder and pull it out in front of him towards his head - any pain?

Can you flex the leg all the way up til the elbow is pushing up the shoulder - any pain?

Can you squeeze each toe individually to check for pain? Squeeze firmly.

Is he able to put any weight on the leg at all?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian