Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She tripped in a whole my other dog dug, and her leg swelled…

Customer Question
She tripped in a...

She tripped in a whole my other dog dug, and her leg swelled at elbow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's 14 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jayda?

No, she still eats good, just limps when walking, and whimpers a little so I know it hurts

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about Jayda.

Now if she did have quite a fall from that hole, we do need to be careful as it is possible to see fractures in these cases. And that would be a concern if the elbow swelling is severe. That said, we could also have muscle strain in this case (potentially worsened if she has any underlying arthritis with this).

With this all in mind, we'd want to start supportive care. To start, the first point of call if you have not already, will be to restrict her activity. Therefore, we don't want her jumping on/off furniture, using stairs or doing anything that would exacerbate any strain. Furthermore, for the next few days, we'd want to rest her and just offer a few short lead walks in the garden to do her business and then back to resting.
As long as she is amenable, you can also warm compress this elbow. This can be done a few times daily to just relax the muscles, soothe the soreness and help reduce any swelling. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).
Finally, if you feel that she is very sore, you can consider offering her a low dose of buffered aspirin. This is a mild pain relief that we can use in dogs in these situations. Of course, if she is in severe pain, then we'd prefer a dog specific anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl, Previcox, Metacam, or Onsior. Still, you can read more about using aspirin and the dose for her size @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin) . And if you do give aspirin, remember to give it with or after food and consider pre-treating with an antacid (ie Pepcid, Zantac).

Overall, based on your description, we do have a few concerns for Jayda. So, the above could be started now to try to help her settle. Though if she is very sore or isn't improving over the next few days, then we'd want her vet to rule out any fractures and start her on strong dog specific pain relief to get her back on her feet and feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Hi Judith,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.