Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He didn't sleep well last night couldn't get comfortable.

Customer Question
He didn't sleep well...

He didn't sleep well last night couldn't get comfortable. But has been sleeping all day today and has no energy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Buddy is a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Buddy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?

He hasn't eaten or drinking water yet has the hiccups

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Ok thank you

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Buddy is unwell, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in his age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Buddy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Buddy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his lethargy ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

He's drinking water from my fingers so not much but he's getting some. He went outside on his own and when I returned home home was jumping for me to pick him up as usual and peed a bit so he did drink some water. Still not feeling up to par but I'll be taking him to his vet tomorrow

Thanks for the update, taking Buddy to the vet tomorrow is the way to go ...

Please let me know how things go.

Regards,

Dr Scott