Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

OUr 14 yr old Border Terrier who is on Gabapentin and

Customer Question
OUr 14 yr old...

OUr 14 yr old Border Terrier who is on Gabapentin and Thyroxine and has Cushings and Hyopthyroidism and arthritis is was very wobbly on his legs this morning, has developed acute nystagmus lasting over 45 mins Not sure if this is seizure related or vestibular and to give him an extra Gabapentin to see if that would help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Homer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Homer?

He had a similar episode that lasted 3-5 minutes a week ago and has been fine in between He was given a course of a cytotoxic drug for the Cushings a couple of months ago and just had blood work done (including ACTH test) which indicated all was seemingly at expected levels

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like there might have been a vestibular event. This can be confirmed if there is a head tilt and/ or eyes dart side to side which you say with the acute nystagmus seems to be the case. This is not a common reflection of a seizure in dogs

Here is a link to more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/vestibular-disease-in-dogs

Luckily in most dogs they will improve within a week of having this event. We don't fully understand the reason this happens in pets unless there is an overt ear infection that is the cause but in most cases this is not the issue

Supportive care is often the best treatment for vestibular disease which means keeping quiet, minimizing the ability to cause injury such as stairs, fluids under the skin to maintain hydration until this passes if there is vomiting, anti nausea medication if there are symptoms of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) or vomiting and medication to help with dizziness if there is difficulty getting around or a reduction in appetite

If there is improvement within the first few days to a week that is a great sign. Some dogs will have a residual head tilt to some degree while others will relapse but until we have a better understanding why this happens in dogs we really support their quality of life in hopes of getting through to where they were before this occurred.

Other causes unfortunately do include a brain aneurism, tumor, a stroke to name a few

You can increase the gabapentin, increasing perhaps from twice daily to three times daily or I can help adjust further if you are able to provide a weight and mg administration with frequency. It won't help with the vestibular issue but can assist in Homer resting comfortably tonight (in the states). I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Homer doing today? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian