Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a chihuahua, she legged (not sure if that matters)

Hi, I have a chihuahua, she...
I have a chihuahua, she long legged (not sure if that matters)
but she bigger than other chihuahuas.
She's about 12/13 lbs.
I left an apple core in her reach and she ate it. It was a small gala apple. It's the first time it's happened.
I know the seeds have cyanide in them.
Should I just watch her to see if she starts to get sick or take her to the hospital.
Should I fed her a bunch of her crunchy treats to absorb whatever can be absorbed or what?
9/16/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Chihuahua. Yes, there is a tiny amount of cyanide in apple seeds, but she would have to eat more than the seeds in one apple to get sick.

How long ago did she get it? How is she acting?

She ate it about 30-45 minutes ago she's not acting out if the norm. Her tummy is grumbling a bit and she just now let out some gas (farted)

I have had many cases of dogs eating one or more apple cores, and have not seen it cause a problem. My research with a veterinary toxicologist just now confirms the seeds in a single apple do not contain enough toxin to make a dog sick.

Also, the seeds have to be crushed to release the cyanide. If she did not chew the seeds, they will pass through her whole, with the cyanide still inside them!

Gas, farting and tummy distress might be from the fiber in the apple core, but is not a sign of cyanide poisoning.

Please let me know if this is helpful and if you have more questions!

I'm sure she just gobbled it up, but if she did chew up a seed will it be okay?
What should I look for that might want me to take her to the hospital

If she chewed up all the seeds in one apple core, it is still not enough to make her sick.

Cyanide causing breathing problems; her gums would be pale or blue. I really do not expect this to happen; dogs do this all the time and I have not ever heard of it being a problem.

More research: It would take huge amounts of apple seeds, chewed all at one time, to cause a problem.

Okay, thank you so much. I'll keep an eye on her. Is it okay if I feed her her food or treats or should I wait?

You are welcome. I would feed her normally.

Thank you enjoy the rest of your weekend. You've set my mind st ease.

I am glad to hear it!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Jeannette,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?
sorry, I didn't realize you sent a message.
She's perfect. She didn't get diarrhea or gas after her one little expel. Thank you so much for asking. I'll be making sure to toss my apple cores right away.
Have a good day
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian