Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has a weird cough and seems short of breath, Sonny 13…

Customer Question
He has a weird...

He has a weird cough and seems short of breath

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Sonny 13 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sonny?

He was just at a pet boarding place during the recent hurricane in florida

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

By the principle of Occam's Razor, Sonny contracted the infectious tracheobronchitis complex ("kennel cough") while boarding. In most cases, these dogs will normalize within 1-3 weeks unaided but because Sonny is elderly, I want you to have his vet attend to him.

While any age dog can cough due to a simple respiratory infection such as infectious tracheobronchitis, I need to consider more dire causes of coughing in an 13 year such as congestive heart failure, chronic sterile bronchitis, pneumonia, heartworm disease, and neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity. I wouldn't hesitate to have his vet carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray Sonny's chest at your earliest convenience. I find that sending these older coughing dogs home with an antibiotic instead of promptly X-raying them is a mistake too often made by veterinarians. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian