Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog loves cheese but now he is constipated. After about 3…

Customer Question
My dog loves cheese...

My dog loves cheese but now he is constipated. After about 3 minutes of straining he still could not have a bm. What can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Oliver - 9 years old this past July.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for your question. I am Dr. Nicole and I will try to help you with this situation.

I am so sorry that Oliver is uncomfortable.

Obviously if your are not able to take him in to a veterinarian today for an enema you can try a few things first.

1. Try to give him a warm bath and gently wash the anal area. This might sound strange but it might make him a little more comfortable and relax him a bit. If it seems like it is helping and relaxing him, then you can keep him in there as long as you need to.

2. Offer plenty of water. Dehydration will make the problem worse, so plenty of fluids. Hopefully he is still willing to drink. You can even add a little low sodium chicken broth to his water to encourage drinking.

3. Fiber- Fiber can work in 2 ways, help with diarrhea, but all help to move things a long.

The best fiber source that I would recommend would be original metamucil, not the flavored kind. If he is a small dog, then add 1 tsp twice daily and if he is a large dog, add 1 tbsp twice daily.

4. Movement- sometimes, just as with humans, it can help if the pet walks around a bit and get some activity. Not excessive though, as you don't want him to get dehydrated, but just get him moving to see if it will help things to pass.

5. If he is willing to eat, offer a very soft, mushy diet with the added fiber. I wouldn't feed him any dry food for a few days and obviously stay away from cheese and treats until this is resolved. You want to feed easily digestible low fat foods.

This is a tough situation because I never recommend that an owner try to do an enema at home. It is very difficult to do this on a pet and there are certain enemas that are safe for pets that veterinary hospitals use.

Finally, if he is not improving and he is really feeling uncomfortable to the point where it is effecting his eating and drinking, then he will need to be examined and treated by your veterinarian.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or you would like me to clarify something for you. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated as it is how we as experts are recognized and compensated.

Please keep me posted on how Oliver is doing.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole