Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Firdt, My dog, Petey is 9 months old. He was normal,

Customer Question
Firdt, My dog, Petey...

Firdt, My dog, Petey is 9 months old. He was normal, completely okay this morning, & last night. Then around 11am, I noticed a lump on his right side right at his hind leg. His fur is solid white, & the lump looks a little red to me. The lump is about the size of a gumball. After I noticed this, he was acting different, he didn't want to play, or go outside. And, if I tried to touch the lump, you can tell it's gotta be painful. Then like an hour later he just seems to be in more pain, like it was hurting him 2 move at all. He still has his appetite so far. Also, he's acting restless like he's wanting 2 rest, ho to sleep but he just can't. I'm wanting 2 know if possibly he was bitten by a snake or spider, or maybe even stung by a wasp or something. Because he was perfect this morning. My happy, extremely energetic boy, and a little after he comes in from outside all this started happening. I cannot afford a vet right now, & I'm really, really, panicking. Losing my mind here. Could you please tell me your thoughts & opinions on this?!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry that Petey is feeling poorly. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Petey?

No. He's finally gotten to sleep now. His shaking has gotten a tiny bit better

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I gave you my home number by mistake. My mobile is(###) ###-####
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I will try to help you through this. I am glad that Petey is resting a little. How much does Petey weigh?

The fact that this happened so suddenly and was such an acute dramatic swelling makes me believe that it was probably something that stung him.

The most important thing is to continue to monitor the area, but also monitor him for pale gums, respiratory changes such as difficulty breathing, hives that would present as other bumps all over his body and overall lethargy.

Does he have any current health conditions or is he on any medications at this time?

Do you live in an area where there are snakes that you need to be concerned about?

If you provide me with his weight, I can make some suggestions for some antihistamines that you can try in case of an allergic reaction.

Also if he allows you to do so, you can gently cleanse the area with a chlorhexidine shampoo like Hibiclens and apply some neosporin.

He's doing a little better. The lump has went down a little bit. But, I'm concerned cause the color of it has went from light pink to a dark pinkish purple. The size of it has really went down though, I'm so happy. He's not really shaking anymore, but he's still acting like he's in some pain. I treated the area with hydrogen peroxide, he still doesn't want me touching it, so I haven't yet...I don't wanna hurt my baby. Also, he's still got his normal appetite. He's not on any medications & he has no health problems. I live in North Carolina, not in the mountains, but the foothills. It's sort of a wooded area around here, but I've never seen a snake in the 4 years I've lived here. But, plenty of bees and Japanese Hornets, & wasps around.

I understand your concern and I appreciate the update. I am glad that the size went down. The color may or not mean anything.

I would recommend applying a little neosporin twice daily.

You can give benadryl to see if the size decreases. Benadryl is 1 mg/pound. So if he is 25 pounds, he would get 25 mg. Adult benadryl is 25 mg per pill. Do you know how much he weighs?

Please keep me posted on how he is doing. I will check my messages tomorrow to ensure that everything is going ok.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not and you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and it is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after you complete the rating, we can continue this discussion for up to a week.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole