Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I tried to get a question answered and entered my credit…

Customer Question
I tried to get...

I tried to get a question answered and entered my credit card and did not get a response

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

I already typed in the problem and entered my credit card - no response

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Chocolate toxic

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did you see what the dog ate?

Not sure

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
My 40 pound mixed breed rescue dog (12 months old) may have eaten up to 3 oz of chocolate chips yesterday between 1-2 pm PST. She was very hyper, barking, seemed not be able to calm down through the afternoon - got worse at night and into this morning. I did not see what she ate and I'm sure what she ate or how much, just a guess. I only discovered the wrappings late last night. Is she still in danger?
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I can see no other question opened by your account but thank you for retyping your situation.

Though if she ate the chocolate yesterday, we are past the point where we can intervene and she will have already absorbed all the chocolate.Therefore, our focus here would be symptomatic at this stage. And while it does sound like she is quite agitated, those signs are actually quite mild. In fact, dogs that have had mild doses tend to just show what you have reported though some can have vomiting and diarrhea. And more severe poisonings can even appear with seizures and tremors (less likely to be seen here given her current signs at this time point).

So at this point, we just need to monitor her. If she is very agitated, you could try to gently relax her with OTC Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours). As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And if we see any nausea in the next day or so, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But otherwise we'd not expect her signs to worsen from this point. So, we can monitor and use the above as needed while this runs its course over the next 24-48 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you. Does this behavior sound like she ate chocolate if it is not her typical behavior?

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

They are certainly signs we can see with low dose chocolate toxicities though some illegal drugs can also appear similarly. But again if this is all we are seeing at this time point, we can just monitor, use the above, +/- encourage her to drink to flush this out and get her settled here.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.