Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got into the pantry yesterday and ate multiple bags…

Customer Question
My dog got into the...
My dog got into the pantry yesterday and ate multiple bags of treats (some plastic and cardboard wrapping) and a little remaining dog food. Today my dog is very letheragic and can't jump on my bed. He isn't sensitive if I touch his stomach.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Has he had any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press (not just touch) on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

He has had no gagging. Drooling or vomiting.He can keep water down.His gums are pink and wet.And he doesn't have any sensitivity when I press on his belly.He is just extreme lethargic, and he is normally a very hyper dog.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that Bogart hasn't any of those severe signs, though given how much he had his lethargy and jumping issues are not unexpected. In this case, we'd just want to monitor, rest his stomach for 12-24 hours after his overindulgence, and plan to offer small amounts of water (1/4-1/2 cup) every 1-2 hours. Electrolytes (ie Pedialyte) can also be added to just boost his electrolytes which can be affected in these cases. After that time frame has passed, resume feeding but only give 25-50% of his normal meal size. Once 48 hours have passed, provided all has settled, you can restart his normal feeding routine. And as we do that, we can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC cat hairball gel to ease him passing this all and the cardboard.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on him. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include weakness, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, pale gums, belly pain, straining to pass feces. If you see these signs, then having him seen would be best for his vet to have a feel of his belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. At this stage, we can consider the above steps for him while keeping a close eye. Though if we see any of those other signs, then we'd want him examined +/- x-rayed to assess if we have any risk here. Otherwise we'd hope to use the above to push this through and out the other end over the next 48 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Should I be concerned that this was over 24 hours ago?

Hello again,

No we'd not be worried by the time frame per say as long as he hasn't those more severe signs I noted. It can take up to 48 hours to pass it all. Its just if he has severe weakness, dehydration or those adverse signs I mentioned that we'd want to think about a check up for at least fluids to help his body processes all of this and get him back on track.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Hi Katie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bogart. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian