Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog is a 14 yr old Chihuahua. She had emergency surgery…

Customer Question
Our dog is a...

Our dog is a 14 yr old Chihuahua. She had emergency surgery completed 3 days ago to remover her uterus and spleen. The Vet kept her for 2 days post op and sent her home with us 24 hours ago. She has not stopped wimpering or whining for 24 hours now and appears to be in pain. She cannot stand up and sleeps very little just lays there amd whines l day. The Vet has he on buprenorphine and retanyl to manage the pain but I am concerned something is wrong. Should I be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Not tjat I see, she just seems to ne in pain

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is she on both those medications at home (ie a patch or oral versions to give)?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?