Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just came back from a week vacation, where my dog's food…

Customer Question
I just came back...

I just came back from a week long vacation, where my dog's food changed with the dogsitter. He went from hard and natural kibble to a diet of rice with cooked peas, carrots, and ground turkey. He started pooping a lot two days ago, but so did my dogsitter's other dog. She gave them both pumpkin to firm up their stool.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Javier. He is 9 years old, he is a chihuahua daschund mix. In the middle of the night, he jumped down from my bed and there were several very tiny little stools I found by my front door, that ranged from light brown to dark brown to a reddish color. It also looks like there are little seeds in it. As the morning has gone on, he has pooped little clumps three times that are getting bloodier in nature. They look like bloody jelly with these little seeds in it. He is not lethargic. I have not yet fed him out of concern. He had some snacks last night--cheese crackers--but that was it. I just gave him water and he drank a fair amount of it. I don't know what to do and I have to go to work soon.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Javier. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Javier?

Has had stool problems when his food changed before.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much blood are you seeing (spoonful, more or less)?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Mostly less than a spoonful.His gums are pink and black like normal, a little sticky maybe? They definitely have fluid on them.No problems with the stomach. He definitely still has an appetite. He tried to steal my pizza from me earlier.He likely did not eat anything harmful.My dogsitter said that the rice is what's in the stool, and that it could be the pumpkin she gave him? His diet changed while he was with her.

Hello again,

Now usually we won't seed like material with the pumpkin but it could be partly digested rice (which is common with diarrhea due to increased gut motility). In any case, the diarrhea could be from a quick diet change upsetting the normal gut bacterial population but does sound suspicious of an inflammatory or bacterial colitis.

Now in regards ***** ***** approach here, if we have an inflammatory colitis then this can sometimes be settled with a light/easily digestible diet. (Though bacterial induced colitis will often require antibiotic treatment). Examples of bland diets would be rice/pasta/boiled potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The canned pumpkin could be continued to firm his stools and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to help with his stools but also support his gut if we have an inflammatory colitis. We usually will try them on the diet for a week until signs settle, and then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

Furthermore, if Javier is very loose, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option and they have the probiotics added in already. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, these would be our concerns for his signs. So, I would advise the above supportive care at this stage. Though if we do not see this settle in the next 24-48 hours or you are seeing blood from the rectum not associated with his passing feces, then you would want to want to follow up with his vet. The vet will be able to examine him, assess his hydration, test a stool sample and start antibiotics if needed to treat against bacterial agents and settle this for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I think I was most concerned about HGE and dehydration. Do you think that there aren't enough symptoms to look at that just yet?

Hello again,

The blood you are seeing sounds much too little for an HGE or other hemorrhagic diarrhea differentials. As well, they tend to feel very under the weather with those. With those they tend to past mostly blood and mucus with little stool, where Javier sounds the opposite in proportions. So, I'd lean more to colitis with what you have described here.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.