Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Projectile vomiting blood incorporated diarrhea, Not that we…

Customer Question
Projectile vomiting blood incorporated...

Projectile vomiting blood incorporated diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that we know of she is pooping huge pools of blood looks and smells like when my mother in law was dying from cancer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Recently noticed what looks like a tumor on her leg

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

How much blood are you seeing (ie spoonful, cupful, etc)?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Is she up to date on her vaccines?

2 days gums pink and sticky cups not spoonfuls tummy tender vaccines all good 3 other dogs no symptoms

Hello again,

Now we need to tread with care with her signs; especially if the diarrhea has a rotten odor. This is because these signs raise worries of bacterial infections (ie Salmonella, Campylobacter, etc) but can also be seen with Parvo, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, parasite infections (coccidia, Giardia, etc), and when they have eaten something that is causing harm to the gut (which may be less likely if she hasn't ingested anything harmful in the past 24 hours). And I'd just note that while the mass is not likely related there is one tumor type known as a mast cell tumor that can cause sudden stomach ulcers and allergic type reactions leading to shocky gut signs; so that too is a bit of a concern here if it appeared the same time.

In regards ***** ***** here, at the moment, we just need to keep her calm and can start some supportive care. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Once this has had a chance to take effect, you can then try her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used(ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients into her. You can also feed this as small frequent meals to further reduce the level of nausea she may be experiencing and also aid her gut absorbing this to reduce her diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. And those are quite useful since we cannot use anti-diarrheals with those hemorrhagic concerns (as those viral and bacterial agents cannot be allowed to linger in the gut as they can damage it further).

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to monitor her hydration. To do so, there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for her. (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level, depresses them, and makes them feel ill).

Overall, I do share your concern about her. Now with her being vaccinated, we'd hope Parvo is less likely here but with what you have noted about the odor I'd be worried about a bacterial agent. As long as those gums are pink and that belly is comfortable; we can use the above until her vet is open. Once they are, it would be best for her to have a check with them. If possible, do bring a fresh stool sample so they can see what is passing +/- test it if need be. Depending on their findings, we'd want them to start fluids, antibiotics +/- gastroprotectants if needed to settle this and get her feeling better.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.