Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He got ahold of the packages of fortiflora and I think he…

Customer Question
He got ahold of...

He got ahold of the packages of fortiflora and I think he ate all of them. Even the paper there were enough for a couple weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Thompson and actually I just checked there were 30 packs and I had only given him about 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Thompson?

No they had given him the suppliment because his stool was soft

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

When ingested in excess the probiotics can gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. The paper is more of a concern as it can obstruct his intestinal tract. How long has it been since he could have ingested these?

it was last night sometime. I discovered the box in the yard this morning
He is a larger dog weighs about 66 pounds. so far he is acting normal

A dog of his size should be able to pass well masticated (chewed) paper through his gastrointestinal tract unaided but I need you to watch for the tell-tale signs of intestinal obstruction - persistent vomiting and/or anorexia. Thank you for the good update. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.