Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got into a new bottle of Carprofen and aate 18

Customer Question
My dog got into...

My dog got into a new bottle of Carprofen and aate 18 tablets. What should I look for and should I take him to an emergency hospital. It happened during the night and he's been comfortably sleeping. Mary

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Manchito, 16 and 1/2. I got him up just now and he's not awake but I put him on the floor and he's not mving around just staying there. His heart and lungs seems to be working normally. Mary

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Manchito?

Now he's walking gingerly.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Manchito ate 18 carprofen. What strength are the tablets, and how much does he weigh, so I can calculate the dose he got?

How long ago did this happen? If it was more than an hour or so, it is probably too late to induce vomiting.

An overdose of carprofen can cause vomiting, diarrhea, ulcers in the stomach and intestines, internal bleeding, and kidney damage. It will help to know his weight and the strength of the carprofen; this could be an emergency situation.

How is Manchito doing? I did not hear back from you!

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian