Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has leukemia but is now in remission. Yay. But she

Customer Question
She has leukemia but...

She has leukemia but is now in remission. Yay. But she developed this nasty pressure sore on her elbow. I clean it out every day, cover it and she wears a soft cone. My issue is her fever will not break, it is now 103.8. She is on antibiotics, Zeniquin 200 mgs. She is refusing food this morning. Can I give her aspirin? Or should I just take her back to the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Scout

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scout?

No, that is it. The pressure sore, kind of like a bed sore is down to the bone. My vet cannot stitch it until it drians completely.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Scout has leukemia, and this pressure sore.

I would not give aspirin to a dog that is not eating.

These pressure sores on elbows can be hard to treat. I have had the most success with antibiotics, and using a device called Dog Leggs to protect and cover the sore:

https://www.dogleggs.com/standard-length-adjustable-dogleggs/

Just wrapping the elbow does not work, the bandage slips down. The Dog Leggs go over the shoulders and can't slide down.

If the Zeniquin is not getting the infection under control, I would try a different antibiotic.

Any dog with leukemia that has a fever this high should be checked by your veterinarian or veterinary oncologist. The fever could be a sign of coming out of remission, or high blood calcium.

Please let me know if this helps and what other questions I can answer.

I did not hear back from you; I hope you were able to see my answer.

Let me know if my answer was helpful and if I can answer any other questions.