Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a rescue Black Lab he's now approx. 8 years old I…

Customer Question
I have a rescue...

I have a rescue Black Lab he's now approx. 8 years old I have had him for over 4 years I have had Labs all my life and know treatments and meds he was x-rayed 4 weeks ago and has Spondylosis on 3 places the worst being on his very last 2 vertebrae causing him pain and loss of bowel control even when sleeping his stool was always soft so helps somewhat he was given a med Carprofen 120 mg for pain which helps somewhat I know surgery could be preformed but cost are very very high. Love him enough and he knows it. I know hard choices need to be made I have made them so its ok to talk about them any thoughts or suggestions on pain meds or treatment or giving him passage to go and play again with Duke Daisy and Mowgli

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

No he is mobile fairly active even with his Spondylosis 2 other are center and 1 in between loss of bowel control is bigest problem

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr G, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian

Good evening, I'm Dr G and I would like to try to help you with your lab. I'm sorry he has spondylosis and is uncomfortable.

There are still some options to try for your friend that may help improve his quality of life before you have to consider euthanasia. You said he is still mobile and active and happy?

You could ask your vet about adding additional pain meds, like Gabapentin and see if that might help. There are lots of other pain meds and you can ask your vet to give him something more than the Carprofen.

If you are open to other measures, I have seen a lot of great things with Acupuncture for this problem. I can tell you where to find a good vet acupuncturist. The Vet that does acupuncture may also be able to do some special massage or chiropractic work to try to help with his problem as well.Chiropractic may help as well. Having Laser therapy done on your pet- many vets have this right in their office, and if not a local holistic or rehab vet surely would- may provide him with more relief and help reduce the stool dropping.

It's possible that the spondylosis is causing too much compression on the nerve and you may not be able to reduce the stool dropping. If that's the case, maybe consider using a doggie diaper to help reduce the mess at least. If the dog is happy otherwise, this may help to make things easier for everyone.

have I answered your question fully? IF there is any more information I can give you, please let me know!

If I have answered your question please leave me a rating.