Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 15 year of cocker spaniel and he is having a

I have a 15...

I have a 15 year of cocker spaniel and he is having a episode. This happened to him about a year ago he is very dizzy and he can harly walk. When we took him to his vet the last time he told us it was vertigo. My vets office is closed what should I do to help him be comfortable. Should I take him to an emergency anima hospital?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds. His eyes are flickering and his head is woobeling

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Cocker Spaniel's name?

Fletcher

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fletcher?

Only that he has had this episode before and was treated for it. Not sure what to do. I tried giving him a little Benadryl to calm him down and it helped him to sleep a little

9/16/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we do need to tread with care. At Fletcher's age, we can see dizziness/wobbliness/vertigo from a condition called vestibular syndrome. It is basically a miscommunication between the brain and the vestibular system (what helps us balance). When this happens in dogs, they can show these signs for hours to days but often they settle without treatment. Though of course if the signs were to persist, then inner ear infections, brain lesions (ie bleeds, infection, masses, etc) would have to be considered.

With this all in mind, as long as you are sure he has had no access to toxins, he is breathing normally, has pink gums (not pale/white) and otherwise himself you can choose to monitor over the weekend, plan on resting him (to prevent falling), hand feeding a bland diet (ie chicken and rice) +/- using OTC Meclizine (More Info/Dose HERE). The latter is a medication can reduce symptoms associated with vestibular signs and nausea. If you use those and he doesn't settle, then we'd want to have him seen by his local vet to rule out those other concerns. Of course, any worsening and we'd want to do that sooner.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Any particular OTC medicine. He cannot walk or stand due to his dizziness and has no desire to drink water. Should I try to give him water

Hello again,

As I noted, Meclizine can be used here. Ideally if he has any nausea with this, we'd give that first then water.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Fletcher has been seen by his Vet and is recovering slowly. The Meclizine really helped him over the weekend and I appreciate your help. He is being treated for an ear infection which brought on his vertigo. He is still a bit dizzy but able to function much better now.
Thanks again for your help.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

I am glad we could keep him comfortable over the weekend and that is great to hear that it is just an inner ear infection which should settle with antibiotics.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.