Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is all of a sudden hiding and won't lay her down. She…

Customer Question
My dog is all of...
My dog is all of a sudden hiding and won't lay her down.
She seemed fine, I was eating dinner and I gave her my chicken bone to lick. She bit off a piece of the cartilage and swallowed it. She seemed ok. Then all of a sudden went to hide. I called her out she came and drank a little bit of milk ( it was a trick) them hid again. I caught her looking at me and she looked sad. At this time she allowed me to pick usher up and take her to bed. thiscwas 2 hrs ago and she won't lay down at all. Help
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I posted this 23 minutes ago and it said someone would respond in eight minutes
She keeps liking her own mouth
I don't understand why I'm not getting a response. They say 20 experts online but no ones available
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Did she only eat cartilage? Any bone?

Did she chew it or swallow it whole?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

What dose of peroxide did you give?

Hi. It was about a cap ful. She's ate and drank since then. She's still wide awake and is afraid to lie her head down. She yelped a few times when I touched by her shoulder blade clues to her neck. I'm afraid it might be her back. She had a issue before. They said was her low lumbar. It flared up and they mention degenerative disc disease. The more the night goes on the more I go back to the night she had the first flare up.
It was very tiny. From a chicken wing. I don't know if that's the problem now. Maybe a coincidence?

Hello again,

Now we do need to tread with care here.

Fancy's lip licking post chicken/cartilage is something that raises worries of possible gastritis, pancreatitis, or even blockage of the GI from the cartilage (though hopefully less likely if it was very small)/ As well, with her discomfort at the shoulder blades and her previous history, we could have non-chicken related discomfort there (is spinal inflammation, arthritis, disc inflammation/bulging).

With this all in mind, we can consider a few treatment options. To start, for our GI concerns, we can try an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut and can help pancreatitis settle. Canned pumpkin can also be added to just push that bit of cartilage through if it is causing any bother here. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

For her neck/back, if she will allow you could also warm compress the area. This can be done a few times daily to just relax the muscles, soothe the soreness. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Finally, if you feel that she is very sore, you can consider offering her a low dose of buffered aspirin (provided she keeps eating for us). This is a mild pain relief that we can use in dogs in these situations. Of course, if she is in severe pain, then we'd prefer a dog specific anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl, Previcox, Metacam, or Onsior. Still, you can read more about using aspirin and the dose for her size HERE). And if you do give aspirin, remember to give it with or after food and consider pre-treating with an antacid (ie Pepcid, Zantac).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care. Though if she is very sore, then we'd be safest having her seen with a view to having her vet start a stronger pain relief option +/- gastroprotectants if needed to ensure we get Fancy back to being comfy.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**