Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 6 year old Yorkie, Laci. For about 3 years now I've…

Customer Question
I have a 6...

I have a 6 year old Yorkie, Laci. For about 3 years now I've been dealing with what I thought was anxiety. She would scoot across the floor, itch Day and night to the point of bleeding. I recently got her tested for food allergies and a few things came back positive. I switched her food but I'm still not finding her relief. This poor dog is up all night biting her paws and scratching! Last week the vet put her on anxiety medication that ended up causing her to vomit day 5. I just don't know what to do next...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

I think that's it, any advice would be great. I'm running out of options

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you.

That is great that you had her tested for food allergies, though it can take up to 6 weeks off the allergens to get them settled. In the meantime and especially as she is so uncomfortable, we'd really want her on medication to soothe that allergic skin reaction. If she did just see her vet, then it'd be worth ringing them to discuss putting her on Cytopoint, Atopica, Apoquel or even a low dose of steroids to just halt the itch and soothe her skin. Any delay and we could at least try her on an OTC antihistamine. They are milder but could take some of the irritation away for her. Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 12-24 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. But again we need to treat the allergy as well as removing it to try to get Laci settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.