Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I left my almost 15 year old cocker spaniel home for about…

I left my almost...

I left my almost 15 year old cocker spaniel home for about an hour. When I got back she had vomited in the house and pooped a very little. She is holding her head tilted and is stumbling sometimes falling over on her side. She does have an enlarged heart and is on vetmedin twice a day, lasic and enacard

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Cocker Spaniel?

She did not take her evening pills yet. Which are 1.25 mg vetmedin, Lasic and enacard. I wasn't sure if I should give them to her

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like there might have been a vestibular event. This can be confirmed if there is a head tilt and/ or eyes dart side to side

Here is a link to more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/vestibular-disease-in-dogs

Luckily in most dogs they will improve within a week of having this event. We don't fully understand the reason this happens in pets unless there is an overt ear infection that is the cause but in most cases this is not the issue. The vomiting is related to dizziness and nausea common with this infliction

Supportive care is often the best treatment for vestibular disease which means keeping quiet, minimizing the ability to cause injury such as stairs, fluids under the skin to maintain hydration until this passes if there is vomiting, anti nausea medication if there are symptoms of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) or vomiting and medication to help with dizziness if there is difficulty getting around or a reduction in appetite

If there is improvement within the first few days to a week that is a great sign. Some dogs will have a residual head tilt to some degree while others will relapse but until we have a better understanding why this happens in dogs we really support their quality of life in hopes of getting through to where they were before this occurred.

Other causes unfortunately do include a brain aneurism, tumor, a stroke to name a few

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online another 20 minutes tonight. If she is not seeming stable and is extremely wobbly on her feet then please consider a veterinary er to give medication and control her symptoms to allow her to rest comfortably. It is possibly related to her heart but less likely than a vestibular event.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Thanks. She is laying down now and seems comfortable. I will probably take her to her vet tomorrow. As I was holding her I did notice an ear odor

Especially being a Cocker that is a high risk. Keeping her in a low lit room where she cannot injure herself tonight is key and only small more frequent meals of a bland diet in 12 hours if she is not vomiting but if the vomiting continues please wait to feed until you see your veterinarian for medications to control her symptoms

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.

No that's ok. It just popped up
She has had what they called syncopated events. Where she collapses and cries but this didn't seem like the same thing

It definitely does not sound like a syncopal episode

Thank you. I feel better and I think she does too. I don't think I can get her to take her heart meds. Is that ok?

If it is going to lead to further vomiting then I would hold off tonight as a precaution

I don't see where I rate the answer

There should be stars on the top of the screen to rate, thank you

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thanks. Have a good night
She just got up standing with no head tilt. When she shook her head she did stumble

Please make sure her gums are nice and pink as well as her tongue. Lastly that her resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute while at rest) is <60

It sounds like she is ataxic, monitor her eyes to ensure they are not darting side to side as well

I am going to be signing off but please let me know in the next few minutes if there is anything I can do for you both

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian