Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I went to Walmart for about 1/2 hour. When I got home she…

Customer Question
I went to Walmart...

I went to Walmart for about 1/2 hour. When I got home she had vomited 2x and there is three large areas of blood on the carpet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A Cream colored golden retriever

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the golden retriever?

She wouldn't eat her food tonight. We live in Berlin, WI. I can drive her anywhere to an emergency vet clinic, if need be.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry to hear your dog has vomiting with blood. This is definitely concerning because it indicates a gi bleed, potentially stomach or esophagus and if there are any hesitations then please get her to a veterinary er to get her on gi protectant medications to prevent progressive ulcerations and potentially perforations which can be life threatening.

If you elect to monitor at home follow the directions below but again any hesitations get to a veterinary er. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues or progresses and there is any further blood after doing the above, I would encourage getting her to a veterinary er tonight to perform an examination to determine the next step to getting her comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Other indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, continued vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your Golden to see how she is feeling and if she is doing better? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian