Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a sheperd and here ear is real puffy like it is full…

Customer Question
i have a sheperd and...
i have a sheperd and here ear is real puffy like it is full of fluid
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am sorry to hear your dog has this swelling, what is referred to as an aural hematoma. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in dogs.

Draining it is an option but unfortunately that is not a good solution since it often will refill within 24-48 hours. It is due to a dog shaking their head aggressively rupturing the blood vessels within the ear. The shaking can be due to allergies, an ear infection, or even behavioral in a few patients I have seen.

Treatment can include medical management of the allergies and/ or infection and then in severe hematoma's surgery is required to suture the ear flaps together so they can no longer fill with blood. Some owners elect to allow the flap to resolve on its own which can take 2 weeks or even 2 months in some situations but if they are painful or it is not resolving then surgery becomes more pressing.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today! I hope your GSD is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes tonight

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your Jersey to see how if you were able to get to your vet today? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!