Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My yard was sprayed yesterday with trimec poison to kill…

Customer Question
Hello. My yard was...

Hello. My yard was sprayed yesterday with trimec poison to kill bindweed. I was told to keep her off of it for a couple hours. This evening she found a ball buried among the weeds that still smelled like the poison. I got rid of the ball and gave her another one to play with. She's acting fine, her normal self. Do I need to be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

75 lb black spoiled rotten black Lab, 9 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Oops, i didn't type that very well. Yes, she's a 75 lb Lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did you see what the animal ate?

She didn't eat anything. She found a ball buried among weeds that were sprayed yesterday with trimec. The ball still smelled like the poison and I threw it away. I was concerned that because it was in her mouth there may be an issue.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the animal?

No. She seems just fine.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

It sounds like you are on top of it and removed the ball right away. In addition even though it smelled like the spray it has been 24 hours so I suspect you should be just fine

As with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion. In addition monitor for weakness, walking drunk, increased salivation, heavy panting

Again I suspect you wouldn't see any issues with the time that has passed but always best to be aware of what to monitor for...

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is your Lab? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman