Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

It seems line her equilibrium is off. She is walking wobbly

and when she lays downher...
It seems line her equilibrium is off. She is walking wobbly and when she lays downher head sways
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is a year and seven months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maka?
Customer: Not that I know of
9/16/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

How old is she?

Any access to toxins (ie plants,drugs, chemicals, etc)?

Any circling in one direction, head tilting, or pressing her head into walls?

Any tremors or seizures?

She has been acting drunk since the afternoon on Friday. She is a pitbull, boxer mix and she's one year and 7 months old. As far as I know, she hasn't had access to and of the things you have asked about, but she did run into a table head first. I haven't seen her walk in circles or her head being tilted any. I have seen her head sway back and forth though. And as far as I know, she's hadn't had any tremors or seizures.

Oh dear,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Maka.

To see wobbliness at her age can be a serious sign. If we can rule out toxins, this can be a feature of inner ear infections, vestibular disease (more common in old dogs), and brain lesions (bleeds, swellings, infections, tumors). Furthermore, we can see this with low blood sugar but usually not lasting for days. And while it is something that can also be associated with underlying organ issues (ie liver, kidney, heart) these again less likely at her age.

In this situation, if she were my patient and especially if she has been like this for days, I'd want to have her seen now. Ideally, we'd want a full neurological examination and bloods to help localize which system is involved here. Based on that, we can then narrow this down for her. If infection in her inner ear or brain is suspect, then antibiotics can be started to clear that. As well, if her vet finds signs consistent with inflammation, then steroids can be used to reduce that for her and halt her signs. Though if her vet excludes those or suspects a brain lesion then we may need her referred to a neurologist for an MRI. Hopefully not, but in this case with her signs we do need to be proactive to try to get these settled for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

she had been wobbly for a little under 24 hours now, and it seems to be getting better. Does she still need to see a vet? I will take her in if she needs to be seen, but to be honest, I'm trying to avoid the high costs of seeing one. Maka is part of our family add we don't want to see her sick. But I'm a single mother of 3 as well

Hello again,

If she is getting better, you can monitor her. It may be that she got into something she hasn't told you about, but if her signs are reducing then monitor her, make sure she keeps eating (in case she has a low blood sugar), and drinks (to flush out anything she may have gotten into). But if this worsens or lingers then we may need to have her seen to be safe.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
She's great. Ask except she seems to have to be right under someone's feet all the time. Ever since she was acting drunk that day, she seems super codependent. It's weird. But thank you for following up with us.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian