Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a beautiful full breed boxer male, 6mis old. He has…

Customer Question
I have a beautiful...

I have a beautiful full breed boxer male, 6mis old. He has had 3 bladder infections in his first 5 mos! He starts having urgency and frequency. He is put on an antibiotic and within 24 hrs, is much better. However, last mo the vet performed a sterile collection via ultrasound and it showed no signs of infection. He said the urine was, however, very dilute!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the Boxer can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Boxer's name and age?

It cut off too soon! Now here we go again! Piddling all over just 4 wks after last dose of antibiotics!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Boxer?

His name is ***** ***** Otherwise, happy, great temperament like all boxers, very sweet boy! I have owned boxers for 47 yrs so not new to their personality! The vet suggested it was behavioral possibly, but I just can't see that! Could anything else be causing this? And why does he always get better while on antibiotics? Thanks, Paula

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bobo. When urine obtained by cystocentesis is sterile yet my patient continues to become symptomatic of a urinary tract infection and, indeed, responds to an antibiotic, the infection would be found distal to the bladder - in the urethra - a urethritis or a kidney infection (pyelonephritis) exists and bacteria from that infection are only intermittently shed and so a false negative culture was obtained.

I'm concerned about the finding of dilute urine in such a young dog. This needs to be confirmed by performing at least two more specific gravities on different days but at the same time of the day. If dilute urine persists, a more thorough work-up involving blood tests and ultrasound of his urinary tract should be considered. Testing for diabetes insipidus might be needed and can be done by administering DDAVP. In patients with central diabetes insipidus (the most common form), clinical signs (dilute urine caused by polydipsia/polyuria - increased thirst/increased volume of urine) resolve completely with DDAVP therapy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

As an RN, I wondered about diabetes insipidus, but he doesn't seem to drink that much! I will pursue those ideas w my vet. Does DI cause frequency and urgency? Could he have both, DI and an infection? I can't stop thinking about how well he does on the antibiotics but then it always comes back after 3-4 wks off the drugs. I hate for a little guy like this to have to take so many! This little guy weighs 50 lbs and is otherwise very healthy and energetic, w/ good appetite!

If you haven't noticed polydipsia, he isn't suffering from DI, Paula. These dogs are drinking like fish and peeing up a storm. Stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine) isn't seen with DI. Please consider blood work and ultrasound of his urinary tract. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

To me he drinks normal amts and when he pees, he less than usual but I would guess about 1-3 to 1/2 a cup, although hard to judge. His urine is almost colorless and crystal clear! I'll suggest the U/S of his GU system as u suggest. Something is wrong w this little guy, I am sure of it! And I just know it is correctible! I sure appreciate ur help Dr Salkin! Hope this diagnoses something that we can fix as these monthly vet bills are getting high! ��
And I have a one year old female boxer!
Thanks again for ur help! Great service! Paula

You're welcome, Paula. Thank you for your kind words. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I am not very tech savvy so am hoping I can get back to this chat page! Last question...do u think a cysto would be indicated? Not sure how that works w dogs!

A cysto was already performed. That was the "sterile collection via ultrasound". You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

No they said they used u/s to locate the bladder, and inserted a needle thru the abdomen to extract some sterile urine. I'm thinking a cysto like in humans , going up thru the urethra and visualizing the bladder, etc.

That's a cystocentesis in veterinary terms. You're referring to scoping the lower urinary tract and, yes, that is done by specialist veterinary internists (www.acvim.org).

that's what I was taking about. Do u think a cystoscopy would be appropriate after we check for the DI? I just hate having to put this puppy on antibiotics so often. They help but I am worried about the recurrence rate! Doesn't seem to be killing the bug. Is there a way to check the urethra urine?

A specialist would first ultrasound the urinary tract and if need be perform a scoping. Yes, a catheter inserted into the urethra but not into the bladder would be cultured. His prepuce needs to be thoroughly examined; a balanoposthitis which has contaminated his urethra is an important consideration in such a patient.

I sure wish u were in Cincinnati! Thanks so much for ur help! This is a great service and I will lyk how this turns out!
Thanks again and have a great w/e! Paula

It's my pleasure.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian