Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 year old has stop eating well and now has mucus in her…

Customer Question
My 2 year old...

My 2 year old has stop eating well and now has mucus in her stool

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Two year old female dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the two year old's name?

Sophie - she would eat well and finish everything

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?

No she is active and plays well with other dogs and today I had her at the dog park and she ran and played with the other dogs. she loves the mud also I noticed she can't walk as far as she did without stopping

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Sophie has stopped eating and has mucus in her stool. She may be lethargic as well since she is not willing to walk as far as normal. Mucus in the stool typically accompanies large intestine inflammation, which can also be observed with straining to defecate, blood in the feces, and diarrhea or soft stool. This can happen from sudden food changes, stress/anxiety, food intolerance, and parasites. The lack of appetite may be from the large intestine inflammation, but it also may mean there is inflammation further up in the stomach or small intestine. This can be from similar causes, but other possibilities are from swallowing a foreign body or organ inflammation. Without vomiting, Sophie may safely be treated at home with some over-the-counter remedies.To help resolve the large intestine inflammation, consider giving probiotics, KaoPectate, and canned pumpkin (or Metamucil) to increase the fiber in the diet. The fiber will help to bulk the stool and prevent or treat diarrhea. For the lack of appetite, I recommend to give Sophie human Pepcid. Please let me know her estimated weight if you want to know hoe much to give. Regarding food, it would be a good idea to feed her a low fat food such as boiled chicken, white rice, or sweet potatoes fed in small amounts. Do this for 3-5 days until the symptoms resolve.
Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may select up to 5 stars for your rating. This helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian