Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 1 yr old sphynx cat has diarrhea after being caught

Customer Question
My 1 yr old...

My 1 yr old sphynx cat has diarrhea after being caught licking my kids bowls leftover cereal, milk and syrup. This was about 2 weeks ago. Within 2 days of catching her, she got soupy diarrhea. I took her to the vet, they changed her diet from natural balance to hills prescription id, and gave her a liquid medicine beginning with M. A week later same problem, brought her back to vet, said to keep giving her the hills prescription id dry and add fortiflora to it. Well 3 days later same problem still ongoing.....so now I went out and got a pumpkin supplement- GI Balance from Super Snouts for cats and dogs....started giving her that yesterday and she still has soupy diarrhea....I want to put her back on her regular natural balance food cause nothing is working anyhow. What else can I do to help her.....

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Kahlua

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kahlua?

No, she eats like a horse, will basically eat anything and has been drinking water fine.....NO vomiting.... Just has the terrible diarrhea for about 2 weeks now since getting into my kids milk etc......

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What tests has her vet done?

What color is the diarrhea?

Does she have control or leak with it?

No tests in regards ***** ***** diarrhea, this all came about after she had some milk, syrup from my kids plates. Never had any issues before. She is an indoor cat as well. Diarrhea is just like brown soup. She has control with it but when I had her out and about she was leaking little bits of it on my bedding and leaving dingles here and there. I have had her in a multi tier cat cage since because of the dingles and bedding issues. Also, when this first started she took a huge soupy poo on my throw rug in my bathroom.....she has never done that before. This is why I had to transfer her into a multi tier cage for now until her poo gets normal.

Hello again,

Now first I'd note that the cereal is likely a red herring, as a small dose of milk usually won't cause diarrhea and certainly not as long as Kahlua has had this. Instead, her signs suggest a bacterial, viral, parasites, or protozoal cause for the loose stools. (She is too young for IBD or GI cancer). So, since you have been doing everything right there as far as supportive care, the best option here is to continue all of the above but worm her if you haven't done so since this started. Panacur/Fenbendazole would be ideal here since it will cover for some protozoal agents as well as worms. And most importantly, we'd want to take a fresh stool sample into her vet to be sent for full testing. That way we can check for all of the above (make sure Tritrichomonas is tested for if she is leaking this stool since it does tend to cause leakage in affected kitties) and once we have our culprit better target treatment to get her settled and back to passing normal stool for us.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

ok well we just got the results of her fecal testing- everything tested negative. Even for the Tritrichomonas. The vet said the only other things we can do which havent been done already is a blood test to check for vitamin deficiencies in which she will need to fast for 12 hours. And if that test still shows no problems, then I will need to consult with a specialist to see if they can find what could be wrong with her. Again, no problems until she ate people food when it was unattended on a plate. The next day she developed this diarrhea which has been ongoing for a month. The vet has switched her food to an allergy free food --Hills Dry, and she is on Tylan (Tylosin) which is not helping either right now. We've tried canned pumpkin, fortiflora, 2 different hills prescription diet foods from the vet and still nothing. Do you have any other ideas which we may try? Shes a sphynx so not sure if they are known for any problems that could cause chronic diarrhea issues....
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

Hello again,

That is a shame to hear that we didn't get an answer from the testing, but good it has been ruled out. Though it means we do need to consider possible inflammatory bowel disease with her; especially since even a dietary sensitivity to people food alone should have responded to all you have used already and for her not to have done so just makes us question her gut's ability to absorb the food that passes through. So, testing bloods for those deficiencies is a reasonable next step and it could give us a clue if she has malabsorption (something we can see rarely with the breed, though usually they are more prone to muscle based or heart based issues). And if she does then we may need her vet to scope her intestines and biopsy to confirm that for her. But otherwise you have done everything correctly and unfortunately this appears to be more of an issue then what we'd expect after a bit of cereal, syrup and milk for a kitty.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian