Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My daughter's english bulldog had eye surgery in March, as

my daughter's english bulldog had...
my daughter's english bulldog had eye surgery in March, as his lower eye lids rolled in and his lashes were scratching his eyes. since then the whites of his eyes are either pink or red and he has eye boogers....
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's a year and 4 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Legend?
Customer: everything else with him is very normal
9/15/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Legend had eye surgery in March for inward rolling of the eyelids (i.e. "entroion"), but he is continuing to have redness and eye discharge occasionally. There are a few different possible reasons for this. The most common is an environmental irritant similar to allergies. This will result in inflammation of the conjunctiva, which results in redness and discharge. Treatment for this is relatively simple and over-the-counter antihistamine eye drops is often helpful. Zaditor is one example of an antihistamine eye drop you can use at 1-2 drops in each eye every 12 hours as needed. Other causes of redness in this breed are inward facing eyelashes (i.e. distichia, ectopic cilia, or trichiasis). This will causes a constant rubbing on the cornea, which will result in redness. Treatment for this is usually surgery, but the prognosis is good. It is important to know that entropion is usually secondary to an underlying cause of inflammation. This is called "spastic entropion." It is possible to have an anatomic entropion that develops that way, but an underlying issue should be thoroughly assessed and ruled out.
Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may select up to 5 stars for your rating. This helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian