Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Large dog with an inoperable very large tumor on hind leg…

Customer Question
Large dog with an...

Large dog with an inoperable very large tumor on hind leg knee. Trying to find a supportive device to support the tumor, without it being too tight such as a hind knee brace.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Buddy 6-7 years, this is a terminal condition, I just want to support him and make him comfortable as long as possible.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Buddy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?

Large dog about 110lbs

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now.

Can you share video of Buddy's tumor while he's laying or walking so that I may see what you're seeing?

No call thank you

A knee brace won't be possible as this will constrict the area and likely cause re-routing of blood. Is your companion showing issues with the size of the tumor itself? Most of these typically don't need support although they can be cumbersome. Can you give me some additional information on how its bothering him?

It's not really bothering him, it's just really big- like the size of a baseball. As I mentioned before a knee brace would be too tight. I just want to support it with a stocking or something. It's just in a bad spot. And he is so big.

You'd be surprised how well dogs can get around with large tumors. The largest I have ever witnessed was the size off a medicine ball on an 80# ***** The tumor was 12 pounds.

A stocking is probably going to slide down with motion, so I'd skip that unless he's laying down. If you want to issue some support, I'd consider using cotton padding, vet wrap and elasticon. You can bandage the leg lightly from the hock up to the knee and apply elasticon around the upper part of the bandage to hold it to the fur so it does not slide down. If the limb swells above or below the bandage, this will indicate a need for removal (which should be done every 24 hours or when the bandage becomes soiled).

Although this is an equine video (horses) it shows exactly how to apply the bandage to the area you're wanting to approach on your companion. Most of the canine videos I could find bandage the foot which should not be needed in this case, so this video works better for the application. In the video it shows using a telfa pad which isn't needed in this case as there's no open wound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2neZ9kq17_s You can purchase supplies at most feed stores or even online: https://www.valleyvet.com/c/horse-supplies/horse-health-care/horse-bandages.html

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I've tried wrapping it with several different kinds of wraps, they slide down almost instantly with movement. I've used Vet wrap with and without padding, elastic ace bandage, etc. nothing works.

Have you used the elasticon as mentioned above? This is imperative to keeping bandages from sliding down and it's how we do it in a wide variety of fields in this profession from animals who walk to those who run. If so, let me know and we can discuss this further.

Checking in. How is Buddy?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse