Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a three year old dalmatian. We boarded her at the…

Customer Question
I have a three...

I have a three year old dalmatian. We boarded her at the Vet. when we picked her up she basically turns her face at food. Food that would normally jump all over and is excessively drinking and peeing. During the night or sleeping she has been wetting herself. We brought her to the Vet yesterday, went through a full examination, did a urine analysis. Nothing to note, we are now waiting on her blood test. She has been like this going on her fourth day. Not sure what to do next except the incontinence in sleep mode is wearing us thin. Do I need to take her to a specialist?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Bean

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bean?

She has had allergies on her paws that we have treated, only summer months.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What treatments do her vets have her on just now?

Has her urine been dilute/watery or dark/odorous?

Does she pass normal streams when awake? Large or small? Straining?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie grapes/raisins, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

They have not given her any meds. Her urine is dilute because all she has been doing is drinking very little food over 5 days. She passes a stream when awake and urinates while she is sleeping. No major licking or drooling. I don't believe she has eaten anything, plus she was at the vet for a two day boarding. My daughter did take her to the dog park after she was picked up but nothing out of the ordinary during play. She has had urinary infections in the past but she was tested and she is clear. Her blood test came back relatively clean, a slight elevation in her liver enzymes but nothing alarming.

Hello again,

Now I am quite concerned about Bean.

Its positive that her bloods have come back normal but hopefully besides organ issues her vet has also ruled out diabetes, Cushing's or Addison's disease for her. Otherwise, if she is drinking excessively and has dilute urine with bed wetting and we can exclude organ issues, then we'd have to consider heart issues (unless their examination ruled that one out), severe inflammation (ie kidney infections, uterine infection if she were not spayed but any severe internal inflammation would also raise concerns) and toxin ingestion. Urine crystals and bladder stones can also sometimes appear this way but they are less likely. And I'd note that it is not uncommon to see nausea (even without vomiting) negatively impact the appetite in these cases.

Therefore, we'd want her vet to reassess her now that the bloods are back and consider further testing for any of the above that are still concerns. As well, since her appetite is down,we'd want them to start anti-nausea medication and appetite stimulants for her. Else for the moment we could try her with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Or if need be, we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet.

Overall, these signs do raise some serious concerns, especially with her urine being dilute. So, we'd need her vet to assess her for the above but also treat symptomatically to see if we can get Bean back to eating and acting like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**