Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Have a 5 month old Rottweiler one testicle has failed to…

Customer Question
Have a 5 month...

Have a 5 month old Rottweiler one testicle has failed to drop. If you lightly press it drops into place and the one that has already dropped goes up into the abdomen. Is as if the sack is to small for both

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Oso

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oso?

He is otherwise healthy

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your 5-month old Rottweiler has an undescended testicle that you can push into the scrotum, but it will not stay there. In these situations. The testicle is considered a cryptorchid and my assumption is that it is actually in the "inguinal" region and not actually the abdomen. It would be unusual for it to be able to go back into the abdomen because there is a membrane that forms between the abdomen and scrotum that prevents passage back and forth of the testicle. The space in between the scrotum and the abdomen is the inguinal region. Dogs with undescended testicles are recommended to be neutered. If you are already planning on having him neutered then this placemeant should not be a problem for the surgeon. If you are wanting to keep him intact then It is sometimes successful for a surgeon to "pull down" the testicle and suture it to the skin. This approach can fail as well. These undescended testicles have a higher rate of tumors later in life, which is another reason to support neutering.
Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may select up to 5 stars for your rating. This helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry