Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Glass company used clear silicone to seal shower door. Left

Glass company used clear silicone...
Glass company used clear silicone to seal shower door. Left house and returned to find my dog had vomited and appears he licked the silicone.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey is 10 and 1/2 and weighs 85 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: He had eaten grass this am and vomited on his walk, but every once in a while he does that. He has hypothyroidism and takes thyroxine.
9/15/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

These sealants as well as caulks are considered of very low toxicity to dogs...in particular, the inert silicone present in this sealant. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Bailey wasn't intoxicated and will remain safe. Diluting however much he ingested by overfeeding and encouraging the intake of tasty fluids such as milk, cream, broths, or bouillons should reduce the likelihood of significant irritation caused by the sealant. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. May I have an update on Bailey, please?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian