Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 year old Pug has off and on for a few months been

Customer Question
My 10 year old...

My 10 year old Pug has off and on for a few months been waking at night with rapid breathing and some dry cough/gagging like he's trying to cough something up. He seems to try to sleep while lying flat down on his stomach with head forward but starts the snorting stuff and rapid breathing and at times he will also have the cough/gagging. This goes on for a bit then he will eventually seem to get comfortable by lying on his side and then he is able to go to sleep and still has a little dull snoring but not the seemingly spasmodic episodes while lying forward. I keep his water cup by the bed so I will give him some water. I noticed yesterday while he was drinking from his water bowl, he kind got like strangled for a second after he drank water. He is a little overweight at around 38-39 lbs but he is a tall, long Pug. I plan to take him in to Vet tomorrow and video him tonight. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Pug. What is the Pug's name?

Buggles

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buggles?

He has a lot of skin allergies and recently had an ear infection (just finished antibiotics) and an ulcerated eye but those seem to be better.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Also, he seems to lie in same position during the day in the floor and doesn't seem to have these episodes. He does sleep in bed with me at night. Also, when he awakes in the episode at night he sometimes pants afterwards and seems to be smiling and it is like his eyes are kind of glazed over like he is sort of in a trance, even though at that point he is sitting and if I kinda try to juggle him he seems a little startled or hard to get to move him for a minute.
Answered in 1 day by:
9/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?